iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad Apps Search Engine
iPhone Apps Users Community
Advanced search | Example: action games
iPhone apps

fwdMail

fwdMail

 

Description

fwdMail is an email client that downloads your email to your iPhone or iPod Touch. It provides blazingly fast full-text searches of your email - you've got to try it! fwdMail downloads your email from multiple Gmail, IMAP, and Rackspace accounts. fwdMail lets you read your emails when you are offline, but storing your emails takes surprisingly little space on your device (20, 000 emails in 100MB - about 1% of an 8GB device).

fwdMail is based on reMail, an open source project by Google, Inc. I was excited when I heard about the features of reMail - offline access, fast searching, multiple email accounts - but when Google purchased reMail, they removed it from the App Store, so I couldn't get a copy. However, since it is now open source, I knew I wanted to give it a shot, so I went through the process of getting the code and its dependencies and figuring out the building, licensing, and re-branding.

And it is cool! I don't know that it will beat out my desktop as an email interface, but it is handy! I've published this version so you can try it yourself. The current version is a minimally re-branded version of the open source code.

The name "fwdMail" came about because the reMail code is now moving forward in the open source world. reMail is a trademark of Google.

Please post comments, suggestions, and improvement ideas at http://www.handyapp.com/fwdMail or send them to me.

Note that your first download can take a long time, but you can interrupt it and it will continue when you left off. fwdMail downloads the most recent mail first. You may want to connect over wifi and let fwdMail run overnight. After you've downloaded your mail archive, later downloads are faster as they are just downloading new mail.

What's New in Version 2

Added support for international characters in folder display names (tested Hebrew - thanks for the bug report, David O.!)

iPhone Screenshots

fwdMail iPhone Screenshot 1
fwdMail iPhone Screenshot 2
fwdMail iPhone Screenshot 3
fwdMail iPhone Screenshot 4
fwdMail iPhone Screenshot 5

Video Reviews

No video review.

Customer reviews

Write a Review

Rated 2/5 based on 3 customer reviews.

 

4/5 stars

Glad to see remail like app back

:
Loads fast, searches fast. Very satisfied.

4/5 stars

Does what it's meant to do, which ain't much

:
It IS very fast. If I needed to search my email frequently, it would be a keeper. Also allows you to download more than 200 emails at a time, and view them offline. Those are what it does better than The regular iPhone email app. I myself, however, don't need those features, so only 4 stars. This kind of excellent programming used to build a fully featured email app that makes up for the many features missing from the lame regular iphone one would be 5 stars, no problem.

0/5 stars

This "remail" rebuild needs a reboot

:
When google bought "remail" and opened up it's sourcecode, it provided app developers a tool to build applications that would provide quick indexing of all of your email on any pop and imap service.

This is a decent implimentation of thy code. Even with my list of grievences, It's still (unfortunately) the best of the currently available remail remakes. it isn't however the ambitious app I was hoping for.

The indexing process is a pain. I have a fairly large email archive. So far it has so far taken me 3 days. It quits with errors. It says "complete" but when I resync it starts building new folders. My mail is still only 45% indexed. Oy.

If indexing is 30% of the battle, the remaining 70% is searching and result display. This app doesn't display search results in a powerful manner. There is only 1 simple search bar, no advanced filtering. So if i add 3 email accounts, i cant narrow down which account to search If I have emails to and from Mary, but i want to see only emails I've sent... I can't narrow down my results. I also can't even search by folder. I can only choose which folders and accounts to index. Too basic to be useful.

When the results come up, theres no way to sort. You can't sort by date, by sender, you can't see even see what emails contain attachments. And the worst part is, it lumps emails together in groups of 10 emails, so If there's a ton of results, this can take you forever to use.

Hopefully these guys will give this project a reboot. It's currently just an okay start. In the meantime, I'll be keeping my eyes open for a more ambitious app that takes this project seriously.

Forum

Ask a question

Be the first question this app.

Users Community

+ Connect to community


The information may be outdated (2017-03-08 19:57:37). For actual information go to iTunes


Mobile Version
iApps4you.com - is iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad apps search engine and not been authorized, sponsored or approved by Apple Inc.
Copyright © 2017 iApps4you.com.
95 ms.